Best For Balance Transfers: Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Credit Card
Heres why: The NFCU Platinum Credit Card comes with a balance transfer offer that can help you pay down your debt and to sweeten the deal, Navy Federal Credit Union doesnt charge balance transfer fees.
The NFCU Platinum Credit Card has an introductory 0% APR on balance transfers for 12 months from account opening. After that, youll be charged a regular variable APR on balance transfers of 6.74% to 18%. Just know that youll need to request the transfer in the first 60 days of your account opening to qualify for the intro APR.
Theres no foreign transaction fee and no annual fee for the card, but youll need to be a member of the credit union to apply. Membership is open to active-duty service members in all branches of the armed forces, as well as those whove served or certain people associated with the Department of Defense or the military, like veterans, retirees and family members.
To see more balance transfer offers, compare offers for balance transfer cards on Credit Karma.
Is The Navy Federal Nrewards Secured Credit Card For You
The Navy Federal nRewards Secured card is a solid card option for card-seekers who want to improve a weak or damaged credit profile. While its cash-back rewards may not be the best even among secured cards, the perks like cell phone protection and car rental insurance arent often found in the secured card market and make the card a great option. With no foreign transaction fees or cash advance fees, the nRewards card further sets itself apart, as long as youre qualified to join Navy Federal Credit Union.
Best For Rewards On Base: Usaa Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Card
Heres why: The USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card helps military personnel stationed on a military base maximize their cash back benefits.
The USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card offers 5% cash back on your first $3,000 in combined gas and qualifying military base purchases each calendar year. After spending $3,000, youll earn 1% back. Qualifying purchases at military bases include those at commissaries, exchanges and shoppettes.
Youll also earn 2% cash back on the first $3,000 you spend on supermarket purchases each year . On all other purchases, youll get 1% cash back.
The card has an annual fee of $0 and foreign transaction fees? None. But youll need to join USAA to be able to apply for the card. Both active-duty and retired service members are eligible to join, among other military-affiliated people and their families.
Find out why we think the USAA® Cashback Rewards Plus American Express® Card is one of the best USAA cards.
Recommended Reading: Is There A Weight Requirement For The Army
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Cards Outstanding Benefits
- Flight discounts: You can get a discount of up to 10% on select flights with Delta Air Lines if you book the trip through the American Express travel website.
- Rental car savings: You can get up to 25% off your rental car worldwide when you book through the credit unions reservation line.
- Entertainment access: The card offers early access to tickets for various events and experiences through its entertainment website.
Things To Keep In Mind Before Applying For A Navy Federal Credit Card
The Navy Federal Credit Union More Rewards American Express® Credit Card is the only Navy Federal credit card on the American Express network right now. Navy Federal issues a number of other credit cards on the Visa and Mastercard networks.
Anyone considering a Navy Federal American Express, Mastercard or Visa card should bear in mind that you must qualify for Navy Federal Credit Union membership first, before you can apply for the card. Anyone connected to the U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Defense, including family members, may be considered for membership.
You can request a Navy Federal balance transfer when you apply for any NFCU credit card. If you already have a Navy Federal card, you can make a transfer request through your online account. The Navy Federal balance transfer fee is 0%. The NFCU balance transfer APR could be as low as 0% or as high as 10.74% – 18% , depending on the card.
The best Navy Federal balance transfer credit card is the Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Credit Card because it offers an intro APR of 0% for 12 months on balance transfers. The card’s regular APR is 6.74% – 18% . This card has a $0 transfer fee and a $0 annual fee. There are no other 0% balance transfer credit cards from Navy Federal at this moment. But most NFCU cards have fairly low regular APRs.
Read Also: Does Petsmart Have Military Discount
Best For Everyday Spending: Nfcu More Rewards American Express Card
Heres why: The Navy Federal Credit Union More Rewards American Express® Card is a good option for those who want to earn rewards every time they spend.
It offers three points per $1 at supermarkets, gas stations, at restaurants, and on transit, plus one point per $1 for all other purchases.
There are also no rewards limits, so you can score points with every purchase and redeem your points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more without the worry of losing them.
The card stays true to its name, too, with more rewards via a welcome bonus. For a limited time, new cardholders can earn 25,000 points, which is valued at $250, when they spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days of account opening. The card also has no annual fee.
For other rewards options, check out our picks for the best credit union credit cards.
Figure Out A Type Of Card
Once you know your credit score, you can figure out what type of card best suits your needs. This is usually based on what features you are looking for.
For example, if you prefer a card with great cash back options, it doesnt make much sense to request a Navy Federal card that emphasizes low interest.
It also doesnt make as much sense to request a card that helps repair your credit if your credit is already pretty good.
There are generally three types of cards:
- Cards that save on interest
- Cards that earn rewards
- Cards that help improve damaged credit
Figuring out what your priorities are will help determine what type of card is best for you. That way, you wont waste time requesting one that you dont really need.
Also Check: Does Marriott Have Military Discount
How Can You Benefit From Credit Cards While In The Military
Remember, because the SCRA interest rate cap only applies to pre-existing debt, you may still be charged the cards higher APR while on duty. Pay off your balances every month to avoid paying expensive interest.
Drawbacks Of Navy Federal More Rewards American Express Card
The first potential downside of this card is the fact not everyone is eligible. For the most part, membership is only available to active duty military members, retired military and veterans. Others who may be eligible to join include family members of current military members and Department of Defense civilians.
And even though this card charges no balance transfer fees, its not a good option for debt payoff. Thats because theres no introductory 0% APR offer for balance transfers. If you have debt you want to pay down, consider other balance transfer credit cards that offer 0% APR on transferred balances for up to 21 months.
Also Check: Does Amtrak Have Military Discount
Go For The Highest Overall Value
Above all, if youre choosing between cards, make sure to go for one with the highest overall value.
For example, a secured deposit card may be set apart by factors like:
- whether the credit limit automatically increases
- whether your deposit is placed in an interest-earning CD
On the other hand, a great low-interest card may include features like no late fees or penalty APR.
Contact Your Card Issuer
Even if youre not in the market for a new card, check with your current credit card issuers to see if they offer any special benefits to service members. Some go above and beyond, offering lower rates and even waived annual fees to eligible active-duty service members.
About the author:
Recommended Reading: What Is Everyday Checking Navy Federal
Best With A Low Ongoing Apr: Navy Federal Platinum
- Why We Chose This Card
- Pros and Cons
If youre searching for low fees and minimal interest rates, this card is worth a look. Only available to those with a military affiliation, the cards interest rate is as low as 6.74%and theres a 0% intro APR on balance transfers for the first 12 months you have the card.
All cardholders are charged no annual fee, no balance transfer fees, and no foreign transaction fees, and if you get the card before becoming active duty, youll snag a 4% interest rate on balances.
Fair credit or better is suggested to apply, so the card can help you build your credit score while avoiding expensive fees.
Accessible to consumers with average credit scores
Very fee friendly, with no balance transfer or cash advance fee and a low ongoing APR
Must be affiliated with the military or Department of Defense to apply
Usaa Vs Navy Federal Trustworthiness And Bbb Ratings
The Better Business Bureau rates businesses based on responses to customer complaints, honesty in advertising, and transparency about business practices.
A good BBB rating won’t guarantee a smooth relationship with a financial institution. You’ll want to talk to current customers or read online customer reviews to see if a bank might be right for you.
Both USAA and Navy Federal have been involved in recent public controversies.
USAA has been involved in the following public settlements:
- In 2020, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency required USAA to pay $85 million in a settlement that accused the bank of failing to establish and carry out an efficient compliance risk management program and IT risk governance program.
- In 2019, the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection required USAA to pay $12 million in a settlement that said USAA did not stop automatic payments when customers requested.
Navy Federal has been involved in the following scandal:
- In 2020, a Navy Federal employee filed a lawsuit claiming the lender pressured mortgage underwriters to approve loans even if they thought an applicant wouldn’t be able to pay off the loan. She dropped the case in late 2020 but said Navy Federal retaliated against her whistleblowing by changing her job duties.
Also Check: Where Is Navy Boot Camp Located
The Best Cards From Navy Federal
Youve been hunting for a while, and youre excited that you may have finally found the right credit union in Navy Federal.
The better news? They have multiple card options, depending on what benefits youre looking for.
Here, we break down the best Navy Federal credit cards based on what youre looking for, and how to choose one for you.
Editors note: If you like this article, feel free to join the conversation and leave your comments at the bottom!Check out for more .
Other Navy Federal Nrewards Secured Credit Card Benefits
- Cell Phone Protection: Extra protection for phones when cellular bills are paid with the card.
- Collision Damage Waiver: For short-term car rentals, secondary rental car insurance coverage for damage or theft.
- $0 Fraud Liability: Cardholders arent responsible for unauthorized charges.
- FICO Score: Access to credit score on a regular basis.
- 24/7 Access and Fraud Monitoring: Receive alerts and talk to a real person around the clock.
You May Like: Do Army Nurses Have To Go Through Basic Training
Navy Federal Balance Transfers:
- Best balance transfer card: The Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Credit Card offers 0% for 12 months on balance transfers. No other NFCU cards have 0% rates, but regular APRs range from 6.74% – 18% .
- Balance transfer fee:$0 balance transfer fees.
- Timeline: It should take about two weeks for your Navy Federal balance transfer to be completed.
- Ways to request: You can ask for a balance transfer on the application for a new NFCU card. For an existing card, you can request a balance transfer: Online: to your account. Click the Transfers tab. Click Make a Credit Card Balance Transfer at the bottom right. Fill in the required information. Submit your request. Through the mobile app: In the Navy Federal Credit Union mobile app, go to Account Management, then Balance Transfer. Enter the required information and submit your request.
- Information required: You need the account number for the balance you’re transferring, plus the name and address of that account’s issuer, along with the amount you want to transfer.
If you do a Navy Federal balance transfer, be sure to continue making monthly payments to your old issuer if the due date comes up before your balance transfer is completed. Otherwise, you risk being marked as late. Any additional payments you make to your old issuer will be credited to your NFCU card once the transfer processes.
Who Can Join Navy Federal Credit Union
As of 2013, membership in Navy Federal is open to the following individuals:
- Active duty members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Air National Guard
- Department of Defense reservists and officer candidates
- Delayed Entry Program members
- Veterans, retirees, and annuitants of the armed forces
- DoD civilian employees
- DoD contractors assigned to government installations
- U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations
- DoD civilian retirees and annuitants
- Family members of Navy Federal members, including parents, grandparents, siblings, spouses, children, grandchildren, and other household members
You May Like: Does Eotech Offer A Military Discount
Best Nfcu Card To Have
What is the #1 card at NFCU to have? I’m looking to end my relationship with NASA and go with NFCU as my CU. What would be a good #2 -> #1 strategy
Hi ….few questions:
Are the scores you listed true FICO scores or Vantage scores? How is your DTI? NFCU is not a fan of high DTI. Have you been a member with them for very long…..Is this your first CC app with them? NFCU likes to start a little slow, kind of a get to know you phase with the first credit card. Kind of a golden rule here with NFCU is to NOT app for your first choice card until card #2…..they typically will start with a lower limit on first card, maybe 1-3k and then once you treat them right they will treat you great on the 2nd card. As the lowest limit the Flagship starts at is 5k, this might be the reason why. You may want to recon with them regarding your decline, if they do not budge I would ask if you qualify for any other cards while utilizing the same hp and if qualified, request your second choice from them. Many members are then able to get approved for their first choice card with nice starting limits after 91/3 – 6 months with perfect on time payments, etc.
What is the #1 card at NFCU to have? I’m looking to end my relationship with NASA and go with NFCU as my CU. What would be a good #2 -> #1 strategy?
Information Required For Navy Federal Credit Card Applications
There is a lot of information required on NFCU credit card applications. You will have to provide your name, address and birthdate, for starters. The address must be a physical U.S. location and not a P.O. Box. You also need to list either your Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number . Applicants must be U.S. citizens and at least 18 years old to be eligible. If you’re under 21, you need proof of an independent income sufficient enough to make payments.
All applicants must include their employment status, monthly rent or mortgage payment, and annual income. You don’t need a full-time job to qualify for a card, but you will need to report the sources of any income. This could be part-time salary or wages, rental income, retirement benefits, interest and/or dividend income, and more.
The easiest Navy Federal credit card to get is the Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards® Secured Credit Card because you can get approved with Bad credit. The Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards® Secured Credit Card requires a refundable deposit , and the deposit becomes your credit limit. It’s a real credit card, so information about your account will be reported to credit bureaus.
Navy Federal Credit Cards Minimum Credit Score Requirements
If you’re not looking for a secured card, NFCU mainly has unsecured credit cards for good credit or better.
You May Like: Can Women Join The Army