Home Editor Picks How To Get My Military Records

How To Get My Military Records


How To Request Service Information

How to Get Military Medical Records

The National Archives online program eVetRecs is the fastest method for requesting service information. Provide as much information as possible in the comments field. Should you prefer to submit your request using a SF180 then provide as much information as possible and send the form to:

National Personnel Records Center

How Do I Change My Name On My Dd214 Military Discharge Record

Congress authorized the correction of military records when it is considered necessary to rectify an error or to remove an injustice . The form DD214 does not list gender, but it does list your name. While for most non-transgender people a service record showing a former name does not communicate any sensitive information, for transgender people disclosure of the former name can be equivalent to disclosure of transgender status. This disclosure can be considered an injustice, and is the basis for your request to update your name on the DD214.

Each military department has their own Board for Corrections of Military Records, and each Board has the discretion to evaluate requested corrections on a case-by-case basis. The websites for each Board and the address to submit your application for correction are in the Additional Resources section at the end of this document. Generally speaking, to update your DD 214 Military Discharge Record you will need the following:

  • DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record :
  • Evidence to support your name change request .

Question 1.b Name: List your name as shown on your current DD214.

Question 3 Type of Discharge: Character of service associated with the discharge, such as Honorable, General, Other Than Honorable , Bad Conduct or Entry Level Separation .

Apply Online Using Evetrecs

The National Archives’ online eVetRecs program is the fastest method for requesting service information. Simply click the eVetRecs link on the National Archive’s website and provide the required information, including:

  • The veteran’s name
  • Date and place of birth
  • Approximate date the veteran left the service
  • The reason for your request, such as applying for or researching your father’s military history.

Federal law requires a signature on all record requests. After completing the request, print out and sign the verification and mail this to NPRC.

Also Check: Is Army Wives On Netflix

Are My Military Records Public

Yes, your records are available to the public, but not in the way you may think. Your records are not readily available for everyone to scrutinize your pertinent personal information, unless youre next-of-kin to a veteran or a deceased veteran. The only people who can legally gain access to military service records are:

  • You, requesting them for yourself.
  • A military widow who hasnt remarried.
  • The father, mother, son, daughter, immediate sister, or immediate brother of a deceased veteran.

Therefore, if youre just looking to get your records and are worried about others being able to access them, trust me, they have a lot of work to go through to illegally obtain those documents. Some people are worried that their employers can access their military records. The truth is, they cant. Any government request must be approved by the veteran or service member themselves in order for any employer to receive military records. If someone requests military records without your consent, they can only get extremely limited OMPF information, keeping your privacy secure, as mentioned in the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act.

What Discharge Papers Are Not Public

How to Get a WWII Coast Guard O.M.P.F. (Official Military ...

Military discharge papers filed at the office of the county auditor before July 1, 2002, that have been commingled with other recorded documents that the veteran has recorded a “REQUEST FOR EXEMPTION FROM PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF DISCHARGE PAPERS” with the county auditor.

Military discharge papers filed prior to July 1, 2002 that are not commingled with other recorded documents

Military discharge papers filed after July 1, 2002

You May Like: What Do Military Guys Look For In A Girl

Write A Letter To Request Records

If you are not able to obtain a SF-180, you may still submit a request for military records. Requests must contain enough information to allow us to identify the record from among the more than 70 million on file at the National Personnel Records Center . For example, if you are requesting an Official Military Personnel File , please include as much of the following information as possible:

  • The veteran’s complete name used while in service
  • Branch of service
  • Dates of service
  • Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known
  • If the request pertains to a record that may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
  • Place of discharge
  • Last unit of assignment
  • Place of entry into the service, if known.

Please submit a separate request for each individual whose records are being requested.

Please Note: Next-of-kin must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home or a published obituary.

Additional information is required if you are requesting clinical or medical treatment records .

Requesting Military Personnel Records

Have you lost your military service records, medical records, personnel records, or records of awards and medals earned? Are you a family member seeking information about the military service of a next-of-kin? Find out how to request information and what forms you will need to fill out.

Remember: your military records are normally free to request from the Federal Government, companies that advertise copies of your DD-214 or military records for a fee are scams.

Normally only the veteran or the next-of-kin may request copies of military records.

Recommended Reading: How To Get Your Military Records

Va Records Center And Vault : Military Records

The VA Records Center and Vault frequently receives calls and e-mails from Veterans seeking military and/or medical records. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist because the records requested are usually not at our Center. While some VA Medical Center records are stored at our facility, those records are archived by VA medical facility, not by Veterans name, and cannot be released to individuals. If you received treatment at a VA Medical Center, you will need to contact the Release of Information Officer or the Medical Records Transfer Clerk at the facility where you received treatment. If your records have been sent to us for archiving, only that facility has authority to request the return of the records for dissemination. You can find locations and phone numbers for all VA hospitals at this VA website.

For military personnel records and/or military health and medical records, please contact the National Archives and Records Administration at their website.

  • Benefits:

If I Served In The Us Armed Forces

How to Request Copies of Your Military Medical Records VA

If you served in the U.S. Armed Forces, you could request your military records from the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records . There are two different ways you can get your documents from the NPRC-MPR. First, you can submit a request through their online records request system, eVetRecs. eVetRecs allows you or your next of kin to request your DD Form 214 or separation documents, Official Military Personnel File , replacement medals, and your medical records or health records.

The other option is to complete the standard form Form SF-180 and mail or fax it to the correct location. There are different archival records locations for the air force, coast guard, marine corps, etc. It also depends on whether you are on active duty, a retiree, or otherwise.

To get your records, as a service member, you will need to provide basic information like your name, social security number, service number, and dates of your service.

You can also check the national archives official website to see where your records are located, depending on your branch of service.

You May Like: What Army Jobs Have Bonuses

What Military Service Information Do I Need For My Immigration Application

If you are already in the United States, you do not need to show any military records. You only need to do so if you are applying for a green card from abroad.

You will send your records to the National Visa Center after submitting your green card application. You will also need to bring these documents to your green card interview.

For your immigration application, your military documents must show the following information:

  • Country or region where you serve or previously served
  • Branch of service
  • Crime convictions, if applicable
  • Discharge certificate, if you were discharged, retired, or resigned

If you are an adult male from certain countries, you may have to submit military records to the National Visa Center even if you didn’t serve. You should check to see if this applies to your country of origin.

Request For Alabama National Guard Records

If you served in the Alabama National Guard you can request your NG records by visiting and providing the information requested. You can request the following documents: NGB 22, NGB 23, DD 214, Retirement Letter, Medical Records, Discharge Order, and DD 1883/2556-5 . Normally it takes three weeks to process your request.

Also Check: Will The Army Pay To Ship My Car

Request Recent Military Records

If You Are a Veteran or Next-of-Kin

To get a copy of the vets military records, you can:

Most requests are free.

If You Are Not the Veteran or Next-of-Kin

You can only get limited information about non-archival records without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin. Non-archival records are those from 62 years ago to the present. Learn about access to non-archival military records by the general public and researchers.

Getting Military Records Of Family Members

How to Get a WWII Coast Guard O.M.P.F. (Official Military ...

Have you lost or need to replace an individual’s service record? Know what information you are entitled to and how to go about receiving it.

An individual’s complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin . Limited information is available to anyone.

Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual’s privacy for example, medical records, Social Security number, or present address.

There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs.

Don’t Miss: Can You Be In The Military Without Being A Citizen

Find Canadian Military Records And Service History With Forces War Records Canada

Search over 8 million records including Canadian Military Records exclusive to Forces War Records Canada, to search for your family members military history. With customer support from military experts, Forces War Records Canada is one of the most comprehensive, and constantly expanding search facilities in the world

Using our easy to use search you can find Canadian and Commonwealth military service records enabling you to search for family members to complete your family tree. Our records have been transcribed and enciphered by handwriting experts, and we also offer expert help and knowledge through our customer support team.

What Kind Of Information Can The Public Get

The information that can be released to the public depends on the Freedom of Information Act, and whether the person has permission from a veteran or a next of kin. This means, that if someone hires someone else to get their file for them, everything has to be in writing and signed , and for deceased veterans, the next-of-kin also has to provide a death certificate, a funeral home letter or even an obituary from the newspaper.

Without consent, some can access your general DoD photograph, awards and decorations, name, branch of service, final duty status, final rank, and a few other items. As stated though, these must not violate the Privacy Act. If a service member is deceased , people can do their research and get the place of birth, geographical area and date of death, and place of burial.

You May Like: Does Navy Federal Finance Mobile Homes

Emergency Requests And Deadlines

If your request is truly urgent tell National Archives the nature of the emergency and your deadline in the “Comments” section of eVetRecs or in the “Purpose” section of the Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records.

Fax your request to the Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764.

If your burial request involves interment at a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 800-535-1117 or visit the National Cemetery Administration website. We work directly with the Veterans Affairs staff to obtain records to verify service for burial benefits. If the veteran is not going to be interred at a National Cemetery, the requester may fax the SF-180 or signature page from eVetRecs to the Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764.

About Military Service Records And Official Military Personnel Files

How to Pull Military Records from NEW VA.gov Website!

If you’ve been discharged from military service, your personnel files are stored here at the National Archives and Records Administration . We are the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard.

If you are a recently separated veteran, records can be found online via the VA eBenefits portal. However, most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 and other records several ways:

Military personnel records are primarily administrative records and can contain information such as:

  • enlistment/appointment
  • and other personnel actions.

Detailed information about the veteran’s participation in military battles and engagements is NOT contained in the record.

Most Official Military Personnel Files contain both personnel and active duty health records, but this practice was discontinued by the service branches beginning in 1992. See Military Medical and Health Records for more details.

In an effort to expand access to and ensure the preservation of the records, the National Archives and Records Administration together with the Department of Defense developed a schedule, signed July 8, 2004, making the Official Military Personnel Files permanent records of the United States. This schedule mandates the legal transfer of these files from DOD ownership to NARA ownership 62 years after the service member’s separation from the military.

Also Check: How To Get Lasik In The Military

View And Download Personal Health Information With The Health Record Button

You can view and download personal health information from your DoD electronic health record if:

To see your personal health information on the TOL Patient Portal:

Login to the TOL Patient PortalClick the Health Record button View, save your personal health data

Personal health information may include your lab results, allergy profile, medication profile, problem lists and office visit information. > > Learn More

Premium Access is required to view the health record. > > Learn More

Print And Sign The Evetrecs Signature Card

Print and sign the eVetRecs signature card that appears after you finish the form. Mail the completed form to: National Personnel Records Center 9700 Page Boulevard St. Louis, Missouri 63132 Your records will arrive within four to six weeks, depending on the current workload of the staff at the National Archives.


You May Like: How To Get A Car Loan Navy Federal

Does The Dept Of Defense Have Standard Guidance For Updating Your Name And Gender Marker On Military Records

Currently there is no publicly available guidance from the Department of Defense on how to update your information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System and on the DD214 Military Discharge Record. NCTE continues to seek this guidance from the Defense Department. Until clear guidance is published, below are our recommendations for how to update your information on military records.

Apply For The Records Of Someone Who’s Deceased

How to Get a WWII Coast Guard O.M.P.F. (Official Military ...

You can apply for a copy of someone elses service records if any of the following are true:

  • you were their immediate next of kin when they died, for example their spouse, parent or child
  • you have a family or general research interest – youll only have access to limited information if they died less than 25 years ago, unless youve got consent from their immediate next of kin

You can apply for records if they were in the Royal Navy , British Army, Royal Air Force or Home Guard.

If youre acting on behalf of the person, for example you have lasting power of attorney, follow the instructions for applying for your own records.

Don’t Miss: What Do You Need To Open Navy Federal Account

Emergency Requests And Deadlines:

If your request is urgent and there is a deadline associated with your request, please provide this information in the “Comments” section of eVetrecs or in the “Purpose” section of the SF-180 and fax it to our Customer Service Team at 801-0764.Our goal is to complete all urgent requests within two working days. Please contact our customer service staff at 801-0800 if you have questions. Due to the large number of calls we receive at this number, hold times are often long. However, once you reach a technician they will be happy to assist you with emergency service.

If your burial request involves internment at a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 535-1117 or visit their website . We work directly with the Veterans Affairs staff to obtain records to verify service for burial benefits. If the veteran is not going to be interned at a National Cemetery, the requester may fax the SF-180 to the Customer Service Team at 801-0764.

Other Frequently Asked Questions About Evetrecs

    I can’t get this to work with my browser or mobile device. Will this incompatibility be fixed? What should I do?

    If the problem persists, please use Standard Form-180, which you can download and print from the NARA web site or order through the mail.

    Please note that this application is not currently supported for mobile devices and tablets. A new version of eVetRecs that will include support for these devices is under development.

    I can’t get this to work with Windows XP.

    We are aware of these issues. If the problem persists, please use Standard Form-180, which you can download and print from the NARA web site or order through the mail.

    I put a date in and the computer keeps telling me the date is incorrect.

    The format for the dates in the eVetrecs site are specific.

    • For the Date of Birth, the prescribed format is MM/DD/YYYY.

    • For the Date of Separation, the prescribed format is MM/YYYY.

    No other format is accepted by the system. Therefore, do not use dashes or spaces as separators. Only slashes, “/”, should be used as separators.

    If you are using this format and still getting errors, there may be a compatibility issue with your browser. In this case, leave these fields blank and provide as much information as possible in the comments section.

    When I put in my serial number, the system says it is invalid or incorrect.

    I could not get the page to print out.

    On a blank sheet of paper, please provide the following:

  • Today’s Date
  • 801-9049

  • Read Also: How To Get Usaa Without Military