Editor PicksHow Do I Get My Father's Military Records

How Do I Get My Father’s Military Records


Would You Like Another Persons Service Records

How to Get Military Medical Records

We can release service records of former NZDF service members in accordance with the Official Information Act 1982 provided that:

  • They have provided you with their written and signed permission , or

  • You hold an Enduring Power of Attorney for them , or

  • They are deceased . Please note that we cannot release medical information until 20 years after their date of death as specified by Rule 11 of the Health Information Privacy Code 2020.

Please note, if you are applying on behalf of a living former NZDF service member, they can sign the application form.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to the volume of Personnel Archives and/or Medals requests currently on hand please be aware that processing may take up to 9 months to complete.

There may be disruptions to Personnel Archives and Medals services in the next few months during the COVID-19 Omicron outbreak.

COVID-19 protocols limit staff members ability to physically access military personnel files, which is needed to process medal and information applications.

Unfortunately, this will also affect requests for medals wanted for Anzac Day. We appreciate your understanding during this time.

What Discharge Papers Are Not Public

Military discharge papers filed at the office of the county auditor before July 1, 2002, that have been commingled with other recorded documents that the veteran has recorded a “REQUEST FOR EXEMPTION FROM PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF DISCHARGE PAPERS” with the county auditor.

Military discharge papers filed prior to July 1, 2002 that are not commingled with other recorded documents

Military discharge papers filed after July 1, 2002

Request Recent Military Records

If You Are a Veteran or Next-of-Kin

To get a copy of the vets military records, you can:

Most requests are free.

If You Are Not the Veteran or Next-of-Kin

You can only get limited information about non-archival records without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin. Non-archival records are those from 62 years ago to the present. Learn about access to non-archival military records by the general public and researchers.

Recommended Reading: Does Wayfair Have A Military Discount

Government Policy And Strategy International Relations And The Aftermath Of The War

For guidance on finding records of government policy, the conduct of the war and international relations, see our guides to Cabinet Papers, records of the Prime Ministers Office, Foreign Office and Colonial Office as well as Sir Anthony Edens private office papers.

Consult our guide to Propaganda for advice on finding records of the Ministry of Information and of the Foreign Office concerning news, press censorship and publicity and propaganda at home and overseas.

To locate copies of captured German and Italian documents follow the advice in our guide to German Foreign Ministry records.

Our guide to war crimes includes advice on finding records of investigations and trials of war criminals in Europe and the Far East as well as of the tracing of ex-enemy nationals suspected of committing war crimes. There is a separate guide to records of Nazi persecution.

Records of the looting of works of art and cultural property throughout Europe by Nazi Germany are covered in our looted art guide.

British Army Service Records

My Dads Military Records

Discover your ancestors among more than 8.1 million documents about the British Army between 1760 and 1939. Find officers and other ranks in 17 different sets of records from The National Archives and the Scots Guards. The records can tell you when your ancestor joined and left the army, as well as details about where he came from and his military service.

Don’t Miss: Aspergers Military Waiver

Personnel Files: Military Service And Pension Records At The National Archives

The Military Personnel Records division of the National Personnel Records Center , a component of the National Archives and Records Administration located in St. Louis, Missouri, holds most existing U.S. military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services from World War I to the present. Neither the NPRC nor the Department of Defense intends to destroy the physical records of U.S. servicemembers. Some older records have been electronically scanned to reduce the handling of fragile records. See NARA’s site “Access to Military Service and Pension Records” at .

Official Military Personnel File records may be requested online at , by using the Standard Form 180 and submitting by mail , or fax .

Veterans and their next-of-kin may request these records. According to the NPRC, for the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, the NOK is defined as the unremarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister for the Army, the NOK is defined as the surviving spouse, eldest child, father or mother, eldest sibling or eldest grandchild.

In 1973, a fire at NPRC destroyed approximately 16 million to 18 million Army and Air Force official military personnel files. In such cases where files were lost, NPRC uses alternate sources of information to respond to requests.

Emergency Requests And Deadlines:

If your request is urgent and there is a deadline associated with your request, please provide this information in the “Comments” section of eVetrecs or in the “Purpose” section of the SF-180 and fax it to our Customer Service Team at 801-0764. Our goal is to complete all urgent requests within two working days. Please contact our customer service staff at 801-0800 if you have questions. Due to the large number of calls we receive at this number, hold times are often long. However, once you reach a technician they will be happy to assist you with emergency service.

If your burial request involves interment at a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 535-1117 or visit their website . We work directly with the Veterans Affairs staff to obtain records to verify service for burial benefits. If the veteran is not going to be interned at a National Cemetery, the requester may fax the SF-180 or signature page from eVetRecs to the Customer Service Team at 801-0764.

Recommended Reading: Verizon Wireless Veterans Discount

Where To Send My Request

You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives’ National Personnel Record Center . Be sure to use the address specified ” rel=”nofollow”> eVetRecs). Most, but not all records, are stored at the NPRC.

NPRC Fax Number :

See Other Methods to Obtain your Military Service Records for more details, or see more information on access to the general public.

Special Note on Contacting by Email: Requests for military personnel records or information from them cannot be accepted by email at this time. The Privacy Act of 1974 and Department of Defense directives require a written request, signed and dated, to access information from military personnel records. Our email address should only be used only to request general information or to submit compliments, complaints, or concerns.

NOTE: If you send messages using WebTV or a free-email service, you will not receive our response if your mailbox is full. Messages sent to full mailboxes are returned to us as “undeliverable.” You may wish to include your mailing address in your message so that we may respond via the U.S. Postal Service.

Appearance Of The Records

How to Get Military Medical Records Online (Video Tutorial)

The records are laid out in a table format with clear headers, and below these there are large spaces where details about the individuals are provided. Although the calligraphy can sometimes be hard to read, the documents are otherwise simple and easy to understand.

They tend to contain basic details rather than more in-depth information, so you should use these when you are searching for the basics.

You May Like: Does Sears Offer Military Discount On Appliances

Checking The Status Of Your Request:

Once you have allowed sufficient time for us to receive and process your request , you may check the status of your request by email through our NPRC Customer Service Center at . Please provide the request number if you have one, the name, address and phone number of the requester, and the veteran’s branch of service to aid us to finding your request in our system. You will receive a return email from us with a projected completion date for your request.

You may also telephone us.

Want To Request Family Members’ Military Records Here’s How It Works

Posted March 18, 2015 5:00 a.m. EDTUpdated July 13, 2018 2:03 p.m. EDT

Raleigh, N.C. When Miranda Dotson wanted to learn more about her late grandfather’s military service, she turned to the U.S. National Archives for help.

Dotson, a producer at WRAL-TV, filed a records request to see what medals her grandfather had received. What she found led to a sweet surprise for her family, especially her father.

The National Personnel Records Center holds the historical records of nearly 100 million veterans and responds to more than 1.4 million records requests each year, according to the National Archives.

The vast majority of those records are on paper and not available online. They can be used for things such as proving military service or as a tool in genealogical research.

Dotson wanted to find out more about her late grandfather, Jack, who served in the Army in World War II, Korea and North Africa. He retired as a sergeant major and died in 1998.

She learned that her grandfather was in the military police and was awarded more than a dozen medals, including a Purple Heart and two bronze stars. She was able to order the medals and surprise her father with them last year as a belated Fathers Day gift.

Requesting military records can be time-consuming but is worth the wait, according to Dotson, who said she started researching how to get her grandfathers records in August 2013.

How to request military records, awards and decorations

Recommended Reading: If You Have Autism Can You Join The Military

Would You Like Your Own Service Records

Former NZDF service members can access their own service records under the Privacy Act 2020.

Please note Personnel Archives and Medals only holds service personnel records for service members who have left military service. If you are currently serving with NZDF please contact your local DSSG unit or command chain regarding access to your service record.

Access To Military Records By The General Public

My Fathers Army medals. Anyone know what I can clean them ...

Limited information from Official Military Personnel Files is releasable to the general public without the consent of the veteran or the next-of-kin. You are considered a member of the general public if you are asking about a veteran who is no relation to you, or a veteran who is a relative but you are not the next-of-kin. Next-of-kin is defined as the unremarried widow or widower, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran.

Recommended Reading: Can Someone With Asperger’s Join The Military

How To Request Service Information

The National Archives online program eVetRecs is the preferred and fastest method for requesting service information. Provide as much information as possible in the comments field. Should you prefer to submit your request using a SF180 then provide as much information as possible and send the form to:

National Personnel Records Center

How Do I Get Access / Copy Of Exempt Discharge Papers

A veteran, the veteran’s next of kin, a deceased veteran’s properly appointed personal representative or executor, a person holding the veteran’s general power of attorney, or individuals designated, may submit a “REQUEST FOR Access / Copy of Exempt DISCHARGE PAPERS” to the county auditor in order to obtain access / copy of exempt discharge papers.

Also Check: How To Get Military Records For Deceased Family Members

How Do I Find My Dad’s Service Number

I have identified my dad’s WW11 RAF record, how do I find the service number?


I have identified my dad’s WW11 RAF recordI don’t understand what that phrase means. WW2 service records are still held by MoD. You need to apply for a copy of his service record and you don’t necessarily need a service number to do that.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums MargaretHaigh If you came to us from FWR reading This will tell you about us.As Peter has said service records for WW11 are still held by the MoD and are not online on any site. The link Peter gave will allow you to apply for your father’s records. You will need 30 pounds, his death certificate and some patience as you wait for their arrival. So many have been applying for their relatives records but it may be slowing down a little now so not so long a wait.As you will see from reading my link our members do so much more than help with military records so if you decide to go further back with your family research you are in the right place to receive excellent help. Christina

What Happens After I Request My Military Records

Author recounts steps to find father’s military service records

Youll receive an email letting you know were processing your request. Youll receive a second email when your request is complete and your files are ready for you to view and download.

You can also check the status of your military records request by signing in to milConnect and going to the Personnel File tab within the Defense Personnel Records Information section. This is also where youll view and download your files once theyre ready.

Read Also: Can You Be Autistic In The Military

How To Find Military Service Records

Current military service records are found at the Department of National Defence and then are transferred to Library and Archives Canada for safe keeping.

There are two ways to obtain these records:

  • You can search LAC’s online databases.-OR-
  • You can send an Access to Information and Privacy online request to either LAC or DND depending on when the member served.
  • Need help? Phone LAC at or send an email to .

    Let’s get started!

    Research A Veteran Guide

    Please note that the National Archives are currently closed to external researchers due to the pandemic, and they are currently only accepting emergency requests for records to assist veterans.

    More than 16 million American men and women served in the US Armed Forces during World War II, and another 3.5 million worked as federal civilian employees during the war. These men and women are our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, or siblings. Many have shared their stories, but many others have not, and few details from their time in service are known.

    The purpose of this guide is to assist veterans and their families in obtaining copies of their military personnel files from the National Archives in St. Louis, Missouri.

    Details include the types of records available, where they are located, and how to obtain copies. The latter part of the guide details the information available on WWII units and ships. By researching the unit or ship to which a veteran was assigned, you can begin to piece together his or her unique wartime story, and better understand what the war means to your family.

    This free resource supports research initiatives of the Museums Institute for the Study of War and Democracy.

    Don’t Miss: Verizon Military Discount On Phones

    Seeking My Father’s Wwii Military Records

    Diane Schwaighofer

    I have been trying to find out what happened to my father. He and my mother married in May, 1943, he was deployed shortly thereafter, and she never saw or heard from him again. She was never notified by the military that he was dead or missing in action. He allegedly served in the Army, but I can find no records to support that. I am 76 years old, have been searching for him 50+ years, and have exhausted every ancestry group and government records available to the public. Any suggestions as to what to try next will be sincerely appreciated.

    • do you have any additional information on your father name DOB, place of birth?

    • Diane Schwaighofer Jan 10, 2021 6:45 PM

      I know from the 1940 Census that he was born in Los Angeles, California. His parents were Roy and Emma Melstry Nelson. I know he had a degree in engineering, but don’t know from where. He stated on his marriage license that he was in the Army. I know he was in Sioux City, Iowa in 1943, because that’s where he met and married my mother. I know there used to be a military base in or around Sioux City. That’s the sum total I have been able to find out in 50+ years.

    • I posted to the military groups I think he was a member of in WW2 on Facebook. let’s see if anyone answers. You can contact me also via family search.org.

      Pat Troy Demers

    Types Of Military Records

    How Did I Get Here: From Africa to North Carolina: 52 ...

    World War I – Present

    You can find veterans military service records from World War I to the present from the National Personnel Records Center . The NPRC houses many types of records, including Official Military Personnel Files . These files can include the Report of Separation and show a veterans service history, which may include:

    • Enlistment or appointment and separation dates

    • Duty stations and assignments

    • Awards

    • Disciplinary actions

    Veterans health and medical records are located in various places, depending on their branch and date of separation. See this chart of locations of veterans medical and health records.

    Before World War I

    Read Also: Can I Join The Military With Autism

    Apply Online Using Evetrecs

    The National Archives’ online eVetRecs program is the fastest method for requesting service information. Simply click the eVetRecs link on the National Archive’s website and provide the required information, including:

    • The veteran’s name
    • Date and place of birth
    • Approximate date the veteran left the service
    • The reason for your request, such as applying for or researching your father’s military history.

    Federal law requires a signature on all record requests. After completing the request, print out and sign the verification and mail this to NPRC.

    Popular Articles

    Does The San Antonio Zoo Have Military Discount

    Discounts For Groups Of 10+ Discount...

    Which Car Rental Company Has The Best Military Discount

    How Can I Save Money On A Rental Car ...

    Do I Need A Highschool Diploma To Join The Military

    What Are The Requirements For Ged Holders ...

    Can Women Join The Navy Seals

    The Us Navy Announces Women Will Soon Be Allowed To Become Navy...

    How To Join The Army Rotc

    What If I Only Want To Enroll In Rotc For A Year...

    Do You Get Free College In The Army

    Become A Stronger More Effective Leader To Advance In Rank Or Move...

    Must read

    You might also likeRELATED
    Recommended to you