Must ReadHow Can I Find My Dads Army Records

How Can I Find My Dads Army Records


What Information Is Needed To Request Records

How to Get Military Medical Records Online (Video Tutorial)

Your request must contain certain basic information to locate your service records. This information includes:

  • The veteran’s complete name used while in service
  • Service number
  • Date and place of birth .
  • If you suspect the records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
  • Place of discharge
  • Place of entry into the service, if known.
  • All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.
  • If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.
  • Seeking My Father’s World War Ii Records

    Jo Heinzman

    Hi, All! I am searching for my late father’s WWII Army records. National Archives in St. Louis said his OMPF was not available due to the 1973 fire. I have his separation document, dog tags, some medals and a few pictures/memorabilia. I was able to find his Honorable Discharge document and draft registration online at one of the free websites. He grew up in Holt, Missouri registered for the draft in 1940, was inducted on 2 Feb 1942 at Fort Leavenworth, KS, spent time at Camp Bowie, TX. He was also stationed in New York and was a member of the 156th Infantry. He sailed for Europe on 25 September 1942. He served in England, France, and Belgium. He did share with me that he had served as a guard at an American POW camp, guarding German prisoners. He also worked as a vehicle mechanic. He was a scout and was eligible for a Bronze Star , neither of which he ever mentioned. He was discharged on 24 November 1945, and sailed home on the troopship Joseph T. Robinson, docking at Boston in December 1945. I want so much to get more of a connected timeline of his service, and would deeply appreciate any advice. Thanks!

    • Do you have any other information on your father like a name or DOB, or place of birth.

    • Jo Heinzman Aug 8, 2020 9:42 PM

      Hi, Elliot!

      My father’s name was James Walter Albright. . His birthday was Jan 29, 1917. He was born in Holt, Missouri. Thanks!

    Emergency Requests And Deadlines

    If your request is truly urgent tell National Archives the nature of the emergency and your deadline in the “Comments” section of eVetRecs or in the “Purpose” section of the Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records.

    Fax your request to the Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764.

    If your burial request involves interment at a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 800-535-1117 or visit the National Cemetery Administration website. We work directly with the Veterans Affairs staff to obtain records to verify service for burial benefits. If the veteran is not going to be interred at a National Cemetery, the requester may fax the SF-180 or signature page from eVetRecs to the Customer Service Team at 314-801-0764.

    Read Also: Verizon Plans Military

    What Can These Records Tell Me

    Each record comprises a transcript, and most include several black and white images of the records of your ancestors who served as officers and other ranks in the British Army.

    The amount of detail in each transcript can vary depending on when the record was created and the purpose of the record, such as whether it was created for pension purposes or new recruits. Some of the First World War service papers in series WO 363 were damaged during the Second World War therefore, the information gathered from these forms can be limited. In the transcripts, you may find a combination of the following items:

    • First name

    • Service number

    • Rank

    • Age at attestation in years and months

    • Attestation date

    • Death date if the individual died during service

    • Document type attestation or discharge

    • Series this gives you further clues to the context of the records for example, the series WO 97 is titled Chelsea pensioners British Army service records 1760-1913, which explains that these are pension records from 1760-1913.

    • Archive and reference


    The accompanying images may include additional information about your ancestor. Use the previous and next arrows on the images to view more pages. Further details may include

    • Physical description

    • Occupation

    • Name and address of next of kin

    • Names of relatives

    Where To Send My Request

    This is so accurate!

    You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives’ National Personnel Record Center . Be sure to use the address specified ” rel=”nofollow”> eVetRecs). Most, but not all records, are stored at the NPRC.

    NPRC Fax Number :

    See Other Methods to Obtain your Military Service Records for more details, or see more information on access to the general public.

    Special Note on Contacting by Email: Requests for military personnel records or information from them cannot be accepted by email at this time. The Privacy Act of 1974 and Department of Defense directives require a written request, signed and dated, to access information from military personnel records. Our email address should only be used only to request general information or to submit compliments, complaints, or concerns.

    NOTE: If you send messages using WebTV or a free-email service, you will not receive our response if your mailbox is full. Messages sent to full mailboxes are returned to us as “undeliverable.” You may wish to include your mailing address in your message so that we may respond via the U.S. Postal Service.

    Don’t Miss: Can You Join The Army With Aspergers

    Forces War Service Records

    You stand a good chance of finding what you are looking for right here on our website where you will find a huge number of individual service records. We have worked very hard to gather millions of these records to help you with your research, and we hope that this makes it easier for you to find the information you are looking for. Just start with the search bar that has been designed for easy searching, enter a name and see what you can find.

    Personnel Files: Military Service And Pension Records At The National Archives

    The Military Personnel Records division of the National Personnel Records Center , a component of the National Archives and Records Administration located in St. Louis, Missouri, holds most existing U.S. military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services from World War I to the present. Neither the NPRC nor the Department of Defense intends to destroy the physical records of U.S. servicemembers. Some older records have been electronically scanned to reduce the handling of fragile records. See NARA’s site “Access to Military Service and Pension Records” at .

    Official Military Personnel File records may be requested online at , by using the Standard Form 180 and submitting by mail , or fax .

    Veterans and their next-of-kin may request these records. According to the NPRC, for the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, the NOK is defined as the unremarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister for the Army, the NOK is defined as the surviving spouse, eldest child, father or mother, eldest sibling or eldest grandchild.

    In 1973, a fire at NPRC destroyed approximately 16 million to 18 million Army and Air Force official military personnel files. In such cases where files were lost, NPRC uses alternate sources of information to respond to requests.

    Also Check: Sears Senior Discount

    Tips On Obtaining Missing Military Records For You Or A Loved One

    Of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II, its expected that about a half-million are alive in 2018.

    Many veterans of this and other conflicts will take with them stories of service that cant be replaced. Some will have earned commendations they mentioned only in passing, or ignored out of modesty, or locked away alongside painful memories.

    Family members who want to learn more about their relatives service, even those in service themselves, may have limited knowledge when it comes to navigating an archive process that, with a bit of persistence, can provide more than just a few dates and places.

    Military Times sought advice from the National Personnel Records Center, as well as in-house expert Doug Sterner, curator of the Military Times Hall of Valor, to provide some basic steps on the path to piecing together a personal history.

    1. First things first. Veterans or next of kin seeking records can visit this National Archives website to learn the basics. Many requests can be filed electronically be sure to have a Social Security number, service number, dates of service and other basic information at the ready.

    Other requests averaged about 24 days. If youre seeking more than the separation documents, be sure to request specific records via the online submission process or SF-180. If youre after an entire Official Military Personnel File, make that request clear on the form.


    Why Can’t I Find My Dad’s Wwii Military Records

    Looking For Military Records? Start Here | Ancestry Academy | Ancestry

    I have searched all over and can’t find a single thing about my dad. His name doesn’t even turn up once, and I don’t understand this! He is still living, age 85, but I know many people who have found their living relatives’ records there. I can’t get much help from my dad as he suffers from dementia. I do have a lot of info, such as where he was in Europe, and his division and company number, etc. He also won a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, and I know when and where he was wounded, and that he was also in charge of German POWS at Dachau after Germany surrendered. But not a thing shows up on the internet. So disappointing!Does anyone have any suggestions where I might search?

    Ancestry does not have every military branch listed last I knew. My Dad was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier and I never found him either.Linda

    Have you tried to go to your local Veterans Office to see what they could dig up ?

    Is his a name that would be easy to mis-spell? Ancestry search will catch some mis-spellings but I’ve run into some cases where the name was mis-spelled badly enough that the search didn’t pick it up .

    Try these:

    weebiscuit, here are a few link that may or may not lend you a hand………….

    Also Check: Sears Military Discount Code

    Apply For The Records Of Someone Who’s Deceased

    You can apply for a copy of someone elses service records if any of the following are true:

    • you were their immediate next of kin when they died, for example their spouse, parent or child
    • you have a family or general research interest – youll only have access to limited information if they died less than 25 years ago, unless youve got consent from their immediate next of kin

    You can apply for records if they were in the Royal Navy , British Army, Royal Air Force or Home Guard.

    If youre acting on behalf of the person, for example you have lasting power of attorney, follow the instructions for applying for your own records.

    Government Policy And Strategy International Relations And The Aftermath Of The War

    For guidance on finding records of government policy, the conduct of the war and international relations, see our guides to Cabinet Papers, records of the Prime Ministers Office, Foreign Office and Colonial Office as well as Sir Anthony Edens private office papers.

    Consult our guide to Propaganda for advice on finding records of the Ministry of Information and of the Foreign Office concerning news, press censorship and publicity and propaganda at home and overseas.

    To locate copies of captured German and Italian documents follow the advice in our guide to German Foreign Ministry records.

    Our guide to war crimes includes advice on finding records of investigations and trials of war criminals in Europe and the Far East as well as of the tracing of ex-enemy nationals suspected of committing war crimes. There is a separate guide to records of Nazi persecution.

    Records of the looting of works of art and cultural property throughout Europe by Nazi Germany are covered in our looted art guide.

    Recommended Reading: Aspergers Military Waiver

    What If Im Not The Veteran Or Next

    • It depends on the date the service member separated from the military. Military personnel records are open to the public 62 years after they leave the military. Records of any veteran who separated from the military 62 years ago can be ordered by anyone for a copying fee . See Access to Military Records by the General Public for more details.

    But what if it’s been less than 62 years?

    • Records of individuals who left service less than 62 years ago are subject to access restrictions and only limited information or copies may be released to the general public within the provisions of the law. The Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act provide balance between the right of the public to obtain information from military service records and the right of the former military service member to protect his/her privacy. See Federal Records Center Program to access these records.

    Access To Records Information For The General Public:

    I have my Father

    Without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin, the National Personnel Records Center can only release limited information from the Official Military Personnel File to the general public. You are considered a member of the general public if you are not the veteran, asking about a veteran who is of no relation to you or seeking information about a veteran who is a relative but for whom you are not the next-of-kin. The next-of-kin is defined as any of the following: the un-remarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran.

    Such access is intended to strike a balance between the public’s right to obtain information from Federal records, as outlined in the Freedom of Information Act , and the veteran’s right to privacy as defined by the Privacy Act.

    Different release procedures apply for records 62 years and older, see Archival Records.

    Also Check: Verizon Military Discount Verification

    Correcting Military Service Records

    For guidance on the review of discharges and military corrections boards, see NARA’s “Veterans’ Service Records: Correcting Military Service Records”.1For informationon the military service review boards , see “Boards for Correction of Military Records / Discharge Upgrades” site.2NARA’s site also provides the following BCMR guidance:

    “Prior to submitting a request to a Board for Correction of Military Records, ALL administrative avenues must be used. Generally, that means a request to NPRC for a correction , then a request to the military service department , and finally if both these fail, then submit DD Form 149, with supporting evidence as instructed on the form.”3

    Search For Family And Friends

    When did the member serve?

    Choose one of the following:

    Online Database

    All First World War records are open on Library and Archives Canada website.

    Online Database

    Search records of those who died in service between 1939 and 1947, including those killed in action, those who subsequently died of injuries related to service, and those who died as a result of accident or illness while in service.

    ATIP Request

    Send an ATIP Online Request to LAC.

    Library and Archives Canada keeps records for those who were in:

    • the regular forces between 1919 and 1997, including Permanent Force, Second World War and Korea -OR-
    • the reserves between 1919 and 2007 -OR-
    • the Newfoundland Militia who served in the Second World War .

    Service records from this time are protected because they contain personal information.

    ATIP Request

    Send an ATIP Online Request to DND.

    DND keeps records for those who were in:

    • the regular Canadian Forces between 1 January 1998 and today AND is either:
    • currently serving,

    Also Check: Does Sears Give Military Discount On Appliances

    Once Ive Signed In To Milconnect How Do I Request My Dd214 Or Other Military Records

    Follow the steps below to submit a military records request.

  • From your signed-in homepage, click or tap on Correspondence/ Documentation. Then select Defense Personnel Records Information from the drop-down menu.
  • Choose the Personnel File tab.
  • Select Request My Personnel File.
  • Fill out the form. In the Document Index section, check the boxes next to the document you’d like to request.
  • Click or tap on the Create and Send Request button.
  • Who Can Access Records After Filing

    Army Vlog: I Got My Hazmat Driver License!

    Upon recording the “REQUEST FOR EXEMPTION FROM PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF DISCHARGE PAPERS”, only the veteran, the veteran’s next of kin, a deceased veteran’s properly appointed personal representative or executor, a person holding the veteran’s general power of attorney, or anyone else designated in writing by the veteran to receive the records. The next of kin of deceased veterans have the same rights to full access to the record.

    Read Also: Can You Join Military At 30

    Filing A Claim For Medical Benefits

    Veterans who plan to file a claim for medical benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs do not need to request a copy of their military health record from the NPRC. After a claim is filed, the VA will obtain the original health record from the NPRC. In addition, many health records were lent to the Department of Veterans Affairs prior to the 1973 Fire.

    Veterans who filed a medical claim should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs in order to determine if their record is already on file. The VA Toll Free # is: 1-800-827-1000 – it will connect the caller to the nearest VA office.

    Popular Articles

    Does Royal Caribbean Have Military Discount

    How Much Is Our Military Discount On Royal Caribbean Cruises ...

    What Branch Of Military Is Right For Me

    The Us Military: A Brief Overview ...

    Can Military Get Into Seaworld Free

    Get Kraken On Your Savings What...

    What Is The Military Life Insurance Benefit

    Do You Need Additional Coverage Or Private Life Insurance ...

    What Are The Requirements To Join The Army Reserves

    How To Join The Army Reserve ...

    What Is It Like To Be In The Army

    Awful Things About The Army You Might Not Know ...

    Must read

    You might also likeRELATED
    Recommended to you