Your Opportunity For Growth Continues Beyond Your Army Service
When you become an Officer in the Army, your opportunity for growth doesnt stop. Youll establish a fulfilling lifelong career while still having many opportunities for advancement and training. Becoming an Officer will also help you if you decide to enter the civilian workforce, as employers place a high value on workers who can lead others in stressful situations.
Are You Eligible To Join The Military
Eligibility rules can be a little confusing. There are different rules for enlisting and for officer programs.
Enlisting: Enlisted members do the hands-on work of the military. They need at least a high school degree a GED may not suffice.
Officer: Officers are the managers of the military. Most officer programs require a college degree at minimum and are very competitive. Many officers have master’s or higher degrees.
Before you visit your local recruiter, be sure you meet the minimum qualifications for serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Some qualifications are required by all five services:
- You must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
- You must be at least 17 years old .
- You must have a high school diploma.
- You must pass a physical medical exam.
For each branch, there are slightly different enlistment requirements:
|To join the…|
What Kind Of Accommodation Will I Be Living In
Single living accommodation is for single male and female soldiers or officers, and those who will not be accompanied by family.
Service families married or divorced with children receive accommodation within 10 miles of their duty station.
Recruits stay in multi-occupancy style barrack rooms during training.
Other soldiers tend to be given en-suite single rooms. Existing householders can choose to stay in their home.
You May Like: Do Sears Offer Military Discounts
Getting Fit With Fitt
As a rule of thumb, ease into your activities, gradually increase each element of FITT, and end each session with a cool-down. For example:
- Begin with a 5- to 10-minute warm-up. Walking, biking or a slow jog will increase blood flow to the muscles and lightly increase your heart rate. Follow up with some light stretching of the muscles you will be using in your workout.
- Improving your overall fitness is most effectively done through a combination of 20 to 60 minutes of aerobic and strength exercises. The two sample fitness sessions below are based on Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology guidelines.
- A 5- to 10-minute cool-down helps return your body to its normal, pre-exercise condition. Suddenly stopping an intense workout can make you dizzy, nauseated or even faint. Walking, biking or a slow jog will gradually bring down your heart rate and relieve muscle soreness.
How This Site Works
We think it’s important you understand the strengths and limitations of the site. We’re a journalistic website and aim to provide the best MoneySaving guides, tips, tools and techniques, but can’t guarantee to be perfect, so do note you use the information at your own risk and we can’t accept liability if things go wrong.
- This info does not constitute financial advice, always do your own research on top to ensure it’s right for your specific circumstances and remember we focus on rates not service.
- We don’t as a general policy investigate the solvency of companies mentioned , but there is a risk any company can struggle and it’s rarely made public until it’s too late .
- Do note, while we always aim to give you accurate product info at the point of publication, unfortunately price and terms of products and deals can always be changed by the provider afterwards, so double check first.
- We often link to other websites, but we can’t be responsible for their content.
- Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
MoneySavingExpert.com is part of the MoneySuperMarket Group, but is entirely editorially independent. Its stance of putting consumers first is protected and enshrined in the legally-binding MSE Editorial Code.
Recommended Reading: Can People With Autism Join The Military
Getting Ready To Train
An excellent way to determine your fitness level is to undergo a fitness appraisal.
Talk to your doctor before starting a fitness routine or appraisal, particularly if you have a heart condition, feel chest pain, lose your balance or consciousness, have a bone or joint problem, or take drugs for a blood pressure or heart condition. Tell your doctor about the kinds of activities you want to do and follow his or her advice.
Do I Have To Kill People
If over the age of 18 and sent to a combat zone at the front line, you may need to kill someone as part of your army deployment.
This is of course necessary when protecting yourself or your colleagues as a soldier.
The need to use lethal force as a soldier when in a combat zone is likely if the mission requires it.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Military Records For Deceased Family Members
How To Join Indian Army As A Soldier
The first level where you can join Indian Army is as a Soldier. Soldiers are the front-end of the defence forces and are the ultimate power of the great Force. Without soldiers, the Indian Army cannot stand. The work force of Indian Army i.e. its soldiers carry out every work in the Indian army.
The work ranges from combat to building and from management to cooking food. Not just this the soldiers are called for rescue operations as and when there is a natural or artificial calamity in the country or outside the country. From fighting terrorists on the borders to saving people in the flood hit areas, the Indian Army Soldiers has a very delicate role to play.
Depending on your abilities and qualification, you can join Indian Army as a soldier and perform the duties allotted to you.
The procedure to become a Soldier in Indian Army is straight forward. You just need the essential qualification and age to join Indian Army as a Soldier. Depending on the qualification you possess, there are different posts in Indian Army for Soldier Candidates. These include Soldier Tradesmen, Soldier Clerk, Soldier GD, Technical, Religious Teacher etc.
The minimum qualification required to join Indian Army is 8th Pass. If you are 8th Pass, you can apply for Indian Army Soldier Tradesmen which is a post of House Keeper or Mess Keeper.
Eligibility Criteria for Army Soldier GD
Eligibility Criteria for Army Soldier GD
Info For Those Under 17
- You are at least 10 years of age:
To receive information about the careers available in the Army, please register your details with Defence Jobs.
- You are over 12 years and 6 months of age:
You can experience what it’s like in the Army by joining the Cadets. You’ll develop leadership, team-building and survival skills while having great fun.
Read Also: Veterans Discounts At Sears
Why Do The British Armed Forces Still Allow 16
In the UK, 16-year-olds cannot vote, drive a car or drink alcohol. But they can join the army, and this week two charities, Child Soldiers International and ForcesWatch, accused the Ministry of Defence of perpetuating the “outdated” practice of recruiting children into the forces.The charities argued that the government was wasting taxpayers’ money as much as £94m a year recruiting 16-year-olds into the army. The MoD disputed the figure, instead arguing that under-18s joining the army enjoy a wide range of benefits, training and experiences.
But, beyond the arguments about costs, there is the fundamental issue of how children develop the desire to be soldiers? The army states that it doesn’t recruit children under the age of 16 and that soldiers must be 18 before they can be deployed to the front line. However, it does host a section on its website called The Camouflage aimed specifically at 14 to 16-year-olds “looking for more info on army life”, which offers a target-shooting game for children: “The SA80 is the standard issue rifle for all soldiers so you’ll need to become familiar with it.”
Submit Your Application 5interview
The next step is an interview with a military career counsellor it is your official job interview and a very important step. The application process is very competitive and you will be asked questions about your work history, knowledge of the Canadian Forces, and understanding of the job you selected.
Joining the Canadian Armed Forces
You May Like: Navy Basic Training Swimming
Giving Your Consent While Your Child Is Under 18
If you are thinking of consenting to your childs enlistment, this is what you need to know:
But If You Join At 1:
- You get two more years in school to get good grades that will help you for the rest of your life.
- At 18, and with better qualifications, you get more army jobs to choose from .
- Youre more likely to be promoted through the ranks, with more pay each time.
- Youll be stronger inside and out and better able to deal with whatever the army throws at you.
- Youll have two more years to make your mind up, then you can decide as an adult, without needing your parents permission.
And if you do wait until youre 18, the army will still be there and will still want you.
Read Also: Sears Military Discount 2016
I Have A Criminal Conviction Will This Prevent Me From Joining
The Army recognises that new recruits may have past criminal convictions.
You just need to be as honest about your past records as you can rather than hiding the conviction.
If you hide your criminal record, you could face prosecution later.
Your conviction may be spent or elapsed after a rehabilitation period. This depends on the nature of the offence.
Join Indian Army: How To Join Indian Army After 10th 12th & Graduation
Indian army recruits young aspirants every year that makes the worlds largest voluntary army. Thousands of young individuals getting out of school with a dream to wear that camouflage uniform look for eligibility to appear in the Army Recruitment Examination. In this article, I will be focusing on How to Join Indian Army after 8th, How to Join Indian Army after 10th, How to join Indian army after 12th or How to join Indian Army after Graduation or Post- Graduation. You will get detailed information about all the entries to join Indian Army based on Educational classification.
Indian Army provide a large number of opportunities to the young candidates who want to pursue a career in Indian Army. Most of these opportunities are divided on the basis of educational qualification. Earlier the army use to notify aspirants through newspapers, but the internet has made the army recruitment process a lot simpler. The candidates can fill the Army Registration Form from home without any hassles but what is important that the candidates should first be aware of the opportunities that they are eligible for.
When the Indian Army was formed, it was called the Royal British Army. The Britishers had the authority to fulfill the demand of the army. But, after Independence and Indian relation with its neighbours demanded a need of a National Army. Hence, the Indian Army was formed.
You May Like: Does La Fitness Give Military Discounts
Where Does Basic Training Take Place
For all full-time regular force candidates, basic training takes place at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec.
All part-time candidates joining their local Primary Reserve unit will undergo similar basic training objectives. Reserve units will conduct their Basic Training either at the local reserve unit location or at a Canadian Armed Forces training centre. Locations vary depending on units. Talk to a Primary Reserve unit recruiter for more information on their Basic Training program.
Us Marine Corps Age Limits
The United States Marine Corps has 182,000 active duty service members.
Its a competitive military branch to join and the second smallest.
Additionally, the Marine Corps utilizes 38,500 reserve personnel.
The Marine Corps has straightforward rules for their age limits:
Minimum Age: 17 years old Maximum Age: 28 years old
Minimum Age: 20 years oldMaximum Age: 28 years old
Read Also: Veterans Discount At Sears
Army Recruitment At 16 ‘should Stop’
The “outdated” practice of recruiting 16-year-olds into the Army is wasting up to Â£94m a year and should stop, two human rights groups have said.
Child Soldiers International and ForcesWatch claim it costs the Ministry of Defence twice as much to train a 16-year-old as it does an adult.
That is due to longer training and a higher drop-out rate, they say.
The MoD said it did not recognise figures in the report and it “ignores the benefits” for young people.
Using figures presented to Parliament in 2011, the report said it cost an “estimated” Â£88,985 to recruit, train and pay new soldiers aged 16 and 17, compared with Â£42,818 for each adult recruit.
It said initial training for under-18s lasted either 23 or 50 weeks, depending on their chosen trade and where they were trained, whereas adult training takes 14 weeks.
The calculations included Â£10,000 to recruit each person, irrespective of age. The other costs covered training, accommodation, meals, welfare, health, salary and other support per Army recruit in 2010-11.
Army personnel can be deployed once they turn 18 – which the two groups said meant that “at any one time, approximately 150 soldiers are fully trained but too young to be deployed.”
They added that it costs approximately Â£2.65m to pay the salaries of these un-soldiers, which it said were each paid a salary of Â£17,690.
The report said the drop-out rate for minors was 36.6% compared with 28.3% for adults, the report said.
Are Younger Recruits At Higher Risk Of Developing Mental Health Conditions
The Defence Select Committee has recently urged the MoD to conduct or commission further research into recruits under 18 to determine the extent to which they are at higher risk of developing mental health conditions.
Last week, ForcesWatch said in a press release:
- While limited research and data show mental health in military populations to be broadly the same as in the civilian population, the mental health of the youngest recruits is markedly worse than that of their civilian counterparts.
- The only group of veterans to show higher rates of suicide than the general public were those under the age of 24, who have a risk three times higher than their civilian counterparts.
- Early service leavers and young recruits with a lower educational status, in a lower rank and from regions with historic lower social economic status, suffer more from mental ill-health than others in the military population
- The report stresses that military service can have a positive effect on mental health and can help those who were more vulnerable before they joined. However, it admits the military is unlikely to prevent mental health difficulties from developing but rather delays them until after service.
Don’t Miss: Military Discount Sears
Are There Physical Fitness Requirements To Join
Yes, there are physical fitness requirements to join the Army. The Armys Physical Fitness Test is used to assess the physical endurance of a recruit. APFT is a 3-part fitness event: 2 minutes of push-ups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a timed 2-mile run. Recruits must pass the APFT to graduate boot camp.
The APFT physical fitness requirements vary by age and gender. Reference the table below to find your minimum fitness requirements.
The Army will continue to use the APFT until further notice.
|MENS APFT PHYSICAL FITNESS REQUIREMENTS|
If you have any questions regarding the APFT or your physical fitness requirements, talk to your recruiter.